"McDonald's" - As in, it's so bad we can't eat it and are getting McDonald's
"Not again" - It's edible but I won't be making it again.
"Make again" - We like it! We really like it!
This week I tried Rachael Ray Broccoli Chicken Bowls. I changed the recipe to accommodate what ingredients I had in my kitchen. My brother, his girlfriend, and my one year old were eating dinner with me, hubby came home later and ate the leftovers. Everyone said they liked it and my hubby gave it a "make again" rating :)
So this is my version of Broccoli Chicken w/ Rice:
1 1/2 cups rice
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
Salt, Pepper and Garlic powder
3/4 pound chicken breast, thinly sliced
Extra virgin olive oil
1 medium size bag of frozen broccoli cuts, stalks and florets seperated
- In medium saucepan, bring rice and 3 cups of water to boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with fork when done.
- In medium bowl whisk together soy sauce, sugar and 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch. Salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. Mix in chicken and let marinate for about 20 minutes.
- While chicken is marinating, whisk together 1/2 cup water and remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch.
- In large skillet heat enough oil to thinly cover bottom of pan. Add a couple pinches of garlic powder. Heat over medium-high. Add broccoli stalks, season with salt and pepper. Cook about 2 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup water and broccoli florets. Cover and steam until crisp-tender.
- Transfer cooked broccoli to a plate.
- Add a little more oil (again cover the bottom of the pan) and heat until hot.
- Add chicken mixture and cook, stirring often, until chicken is done.
- Stir in broccoli and the remaining cornstarch mixture from step 2. Cook until liquid thickens (about 30 seconds)